Business-related challenges blended with personal growth
Building a creative, solid and inspiring relationship from the start between Alstom and De Baak has resulted in the co-design and deployment of more than just a leadership development program. It has proven to be a unique opportunity for a creative collaboration that has linked, blended and enhanced the business-related challenges with personal growth of everyone involved.
Operating in high growth markets
Alstom has a long tradition in the academic and cognitive development of its leaders. Faced with a shift in the business potential, and anticipating the growth in the BRIC countries, Alstom chose De Baak to design a Learning Flow linked with a thorough leadership development program for its senior management. It had to include a special focus on the global aspects and involve many of their people working in these countries. The program was designed to help its participants with experiences and tools to develop their competences as effective all-round leaders at an international level.
Three key leadership processes
The design was based on a set of guiding principles, all converging around three key leadership processes:
- Developing self
- Supporting others (teams)
- Expanding the business (dealing with change, transitions)
The program focused on the following managerial competences:
- The ability to take decisions
- Motivating and inspiring
- Continuously managing and empowering people
- Generating creative approaches by the business
- Relating behavior with business challenges
De Baak used a number of interactive learning methods. In this way, participants were continuously confronted with the experience-oriented learning cycle: doing, reflecting, thinking, experimenting and doing. It was a process of acceleration and deceleration, divergence and convergence.
Chennai, India & Jupiter, USA
Participants from Asia Pacific, India, North and Latin America, and Europe were brought together. International trainers, facilitators and speakers delivered the program. The opening module was held in Delhi, India; the two modules that followed were given in four different regions, mostly in the BRIC countries. The last module took place in Shanghai, PRC. Two groups of approximately 60 participants have by now gone through the learning journey, the AMP. The results, so far, are:
- Self-awareness: Participants realize how the questioning and the feedback are valuable and oblige them to see themselves differently. They also realize that they are more creative and effective when they work and share with others instead of working ‘alone’ or in isolation.
- Team dynamics: It has created a great opportunity for people from different backgrounds to meet, develop curiosity for and interest in different cultures, ways of working, approaches to the business, etc. Participants had to define, design, develop and present a project linked to a part of Alstom’s business that they were not familiar with. The presentations to the highest level of management have thus far led to the implementation of a few new concepts developed by the participants within Alstom Global.
- Visibility: Everyone involved (including HR, Talent Development and the higher level of management) got to meet each other in a way that allowed authentic visibility of each other’s potential.
- Networking: Participants were given various opportunities to meet managers (N+2 and higher) and discuss openly their ambitions and expectations.
- Life-work balance: Reflection and discussion about the equilibrium between Being and Doing have led to rich exchanges and inspirational life lessons. Linking the outcome of the experiences shared with the daily business has proven very effective for all involved.
An eye-opening co-operation
“Working with De Baak has been a pleasure – we have worked with very professional consultants, who’ve shared experiences and market intelligence so it is also for us, at management level, a very good ‘eye-opening’ opportunity.” – VP Global Leadership, Alstom
Alstom is a global leader in the world of power generation, power transmission and rail infrastructure and sets the benchmark for innovative and environmentally friendly technologies. Alstom builds the fastest trains and the highest-capacity automated metro systems in the world, provides turnkey integrated power plant solutions and associated services for a wide variety of energy sources, including hydro, nuclear, gas, coal and wind, and it offers a wide range of solutions for power transmission, with a focus on smart grids.
If you have any questions regarding this reference case, please feel free to contact us by phone on +31 343 55 6369.
Or please fill out the form below, so we can contact you.